Today I’m offering you and me a quick break, 5 minutes of escapism from your busy life:
A luxurious, self-indulgent moment of relaxation in the form of the perfect bath.
Bathing is an art so imagine taking this time for yourself and make it worth your while with our best ever tips:
1. Transform your environment into a SPA
Set a theme and go for it. Keep a little spa kit to recreate this decor anytime you want.
Your home spa essentials are:
- No overhead lighting as it casts a harsh light. Pick soft coloured and dimmer lighting, even during the day. A gorgeous candle generating warm lighting and releasing heavenly scents is a must.
- Your favourite pampering products on hand: soap, bath scrub, and bath oils.
- Music is essential unless you live surrounded by the most beautiful natural sounds. I’m very lucky as most of the day I hear an array of bird songs, the sound of the wind, a nearby water stream.
2. Wash then bathe
In terms of bathing habits, my favourite style has to be Japanese. First you wash then you enter the hot bath, with clean water. Ideally, the environment is designed for ultimate relaxation wether the style is more spartan or rich. The effect is always luxurious. #bathtime #ofuro #japan #onsen #mythyn #MyLuxeBathTime | | | Photo courtesy of Kengo Kuma – Ginzan Onsen Fujiya © Daichi Ano
For the ultimate luxurious bath go Japanese style. First you wash with a quick shower and get squicky clean, then you bathe. You and your environment should be clean to feel the benefits of your luxurious bath waters.
3. Step up the heat
Take your bath hotter than you may feel comfortable with in the beginning. The right temperature for a bath is hot enough to make you sweat a little, getting rid of toxins. This gives your skin a deep cleanse. The hot steam should help you breathe deeply for greater relaxation.
4. Cold Contrast
Now that your bath is hot, and you are breathing fully, another trick is to have a bowl of ice cold water, and a cloth.
5. Add Salts, Oils & Botanicals
If adding fresh or dried flowers, add them last. They’ may release some colour so the more you add the darker your water is likely to get.
Add oils while you run the bath. I love to add raw organic coconut oil because it keeps its gorgeous texture and scent. Some oils will turn your bath milky and silky smooth.
When adding essential oils the water, do it last and make sure not to add too much as they may irritate your skin. A few drops will go a long way. Beware as some essential oils are not fit for this type of application: inhaling them or contact with skin, which may have adverse effects. Do your research. Consult with your physician if your are pregnant, before using essential oils.
I recommend instead to add scented salts! Add them last and mix them in. Some of our bath salts make your water fizz, or tint it and will also scent them with our signature collection of all-natural, gorgeous scents.
6. Snacks & Drinks
Let’s take this bath up a notch. Chances are you are planning to spend a while there? If you want something to snack make it fruit, and make it light. I’m a chocolate lover too – I hear you. But you want something that is high in water content, juicy and refreshing. It will contrast with your hot bath, and help you replace the water you are losing keeping you hydrated. Hey, I never said that you can’t have the fruit chocolate covered!
For a drink, always have a glass of water nearby but make it room temperature. For an enjoyable drink I recommend:
- The most amazing smoothie you can put together (go wild)
- A glass of champagne or prosecco (or a variation). Classic…
- Homemade iced tea with a slice of lemon
- Chamomile or green tea
Avoid anything milky, heavy, or otherwise too sweet as the heat of the bath won’t enhance the flavour…
7. Care for your skin
A bath is a best time to care for your skin. Pick products and accessories that will moisturise it. Get rid of dead skin cells gently. Beware of bacteria. Like the sponge in your kitchen sink, most accessories keep bacteria… and that’s not something you want on your skin. Our beautiful ramie puffs don’t.
Scrub: Salt or sugar scrubs make wonders happen for your skin. The ramie puffs too!
This body is your forever home, it houses and reflects your emotions and experiences. Take time to relax:
- Meditate. it rewires your brain to align your emotions and feelings. Give yourself the focus and mental capacity to persevere and achieve your goals. Connecting your desires and your emotions means achieving greater self-awareness. Consider that this next 5-10 minutes helps you clear a path of action in your head. It is the single most productive way to spend some of your bath time. Deep breathing helps too.
- Read. I know it can feel like too much of a time-out to be “allowed” when you are busy. Yet, reading is another way to help your mind connect the dots between ideas so you can progress faster. It exposes you to new ideas and thoughts you may not have come to on your own. Open up to these and come out feeling more refreshed.
9. After the bath
Congratulations you’ve just had the ultimate bath experience! Your mind is clear, your skin is soft and scented and your fingers pruned.
Unfortunately, it’s time to come out and face the world…
Don’t forget to drink some water, rehydrate and moisturise your skin.
We’re so passionate about rekindling the love for a good bath time. Healthy down time is as important for you as a balanced diet and exercise in your selfcare routine. This is one of the easiest ways for anyone to enjoy some me time.
If you can’t sleep well, a bath will help. If you feel overwhelmed it will help you to relax.
We’re so committed to this mission we’re sharing the most inspiring luxe bath times over on our Instagram page @MythynOfficial – Share your Luxe Bath Time and tips by tagging #MyLuxeBathTime for your pic to be featured!